This month is a busy one for many. Its also a time when many will be getting their ladders out to put up lights etc. Ladder accidents are responsible for approximately 164,000 injuries each year. With this in mind, we thought it was a good time to give a few safety warnings and pointers when it comes to ladder use.
Ladder safety tips:
- Its very important not to overlook the importance of making sure the ladder is in a secure position before you ascend it. It doesn’t matter if you’re not going up very high, you still need to secure it.
- A good majority of the fatal injuries that result from falling off a ladder happen from 10 feet or less. Do not become too relaxed or over confident as you approach the bottom of the ladder.
- Yes, we are aware how time consuming it can be to have to constantly ascend and descend the ladder just to move it along a tiny amount, but be aware that overreaching on a ladder, even a little bit, could cost you your life. Take the time to do it.
- Be careful when placing a ladder in a doorway. Make sure the door is locked, so no one is placed in harms way.
- Do not skip rungs on a ladder, you can easily loose your balance.
- If you are about to use a ladder that you didn’t secure yourself, check it over and make sure its secure before using it.
- Lastly, don’t use the ladder for things like a shelf or ramp. Just use it for what it is designed for.
Please remember, safety must always come first when using your ladder.